Global Immersion Program: Tunisia
On Friday, January 24th, The Tunisian Government passed a new constitution, which lays the foundation for the country's transition to a democracy. This event occurred as 27 members of the CBS community finished up a week-long visit to the country, as part of the class: Global Immersion, Doing Business in North Africa. Over the course of the week, students had the chance to hear from a number of Tunisian business and political leaders. They talked about the challenges that the country has faced since its independence in 1956, and their plans for the future as the Tunisian economic and political situation continues to improve. The country is in an important period of transition, and its leaders are optimistic.
During the fall semester, students built a broad understanding of Tunisian culture and history through classes and guest speakers, and researched their chosen industries as part of the final paper project. Students chose companies ranging from a cheese manufacturer to a fledgling Tunisian airline. The week in Tunisia provided many opportunities to gather context (political, social, economic), and to hear from the leaders who are driving the businesses that the students have been researching. Programming highlights included a visit to the Coca-Cola factory in Tunis, a meeting with the President of the Republican Party, and a tour of Carrefour Tunis.
The country visit coincided with an incredible, important event in Tunisian history: the passing of the Constitution. I think it is safe to say that GIP Tunisia students will continue to follow the progress of this fledgling democracy, and will apply their lessons learned in future dealings with North Africa and other, global locations.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent CBS Bottom Line News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR CBS BOTTOM LINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST CBS BOTTOM LINE NEWS
RECENT CBS BOTTOM LINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”
- CDA Launches New Digital Copper Learning Center