Global Immersion Program: Tunisia
On Friday, January 24th, The Tunisian Government passed a new constitution, which lays the foundation for the country's transition to a democracy. This event occurred as 27 members of the CBS community finished up a week-long visit to the country, as part of the class: Global Immersion, Doing Business in North Africa. Over the course of the week, students had the chance to hear from a number of Tunisian business and political leaders. They talked about the challenges that the country has faced since its independence in 1956, and their plans for the future as the Tunisian economic and political situation continues to improve. The country is in an important period of transition, and its leaders are optimistic.
During the fall semester, students built a broad understanding of Tunisian culture and history through classes and guest speakers, and researched their chosen industries as part of the final paper project. Students chose companies ranging from a cheese manufacturer to a fledgling Tunisian airline. The week in Tunisia provided many opportunities to gather context (political, social, economic), and to hear from the leaders who are driving the businesses that the students have been researching. Programming highlights included a visit to the Coca-Cola factory in Tunis, a meeting with the President of the Republican Party, and a tour of Carrefour Tunis.
The country visit coincided with an incredible, important event in Tunisian history: the passing of the Constitution. I think it is safe to say that GIP Tunisia students will continue to follow the progress of this fledgling democracy, and will apply their lessons learned in future dealings with North Africa and other, global locations.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent CBS Bottom Line News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR CBS BOTTOM LINE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST CBS BOTTOM LINE NEWS
RECENT CBS BOTTOM LINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone